adult, adultsMany parents are shocked to learn that they have no right to receive medical information related to their adult children. Nor do parents have the authority to make health care decisions or manage money for their kids once they turn 18, even if the children are still financially dependent on them.

This means that if a young adult is in an accident and becomes disabled, even temporarily, a parent might need court approval to act on his or her behalf, or even to learn the medical condition and prognosis of their child. No one likes to consider such grim possibilities, but the truth is that many parents have gone through this difficult, frustrating and emotionally exhausting experience.

Fortunately, there are legal documents available to prevent such a situation from arising in the first place.

Power of Attorney
This legal document gives someone your adult child chooses the power to act in his or her place. You or another trusted person named by your child will be legally permitted to take care of important matters for your child—for example, paying bills, managing investments, or directing medical care—if your child is unable to do so for him or herself.

Advanced Health Care Directive
This document serves several functions. It allows your adult children to name a trusted person to make health care decisions on their behalf if they cannot do so themselves. It also permits your child to provide written health care instructions to his or her agent and health care providers.

Financial Power of Attorney
A financial power of attorney gives someone your child trusts the authority handle financial transactions on his or her behalf in the event of incapacity.

Authorization for Release of Protected Health Information (HIPAA Waiver)
A HIPAA Waiver allows people named by your children to obtain medical information about their condition. This in turn allows parents or other named by your children to make informed decisions about their care and pay their medical bills.

While these documents can’t prevent accidents, they can certainly make life easier for you, your adult children and your family in an emergency.

We invite you to provide your adult child with the gift of a Young Adult Package, which includes an Advanced Health Care Directive, Financial Power of Attorney, and HIPAA Waiver.

Please contact us at (818) 206-8711 or visit to learn more.

Comments are closed.